Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Babycenter.com update: Week 27

I can't believe I'm getting ready to enter the third trimester--only 13 weeks to go and nine weeks before my last day of driving into the office! (Speaking of that, I really need to set time aside to clean out my office so people can actually find things while I'm out.)

This morning I looked at my reflection in the mirror and felt such joy. I just never thought I'd get to experience pregnancy, and now I'm nice and round and feeling kicks and I'm so thrilled. This is truly a miracle. With some help from science, of course...

Here's this week's update from www.babycenter.com. I have to say that I'm relieved to read that the baby's lungs would be capable of functioning (with assistance) if she were to be born prematurely. Of course, I am not advocating that, but it does give me some relief. And while I'm not feeling hiccups, I am feeling a lot of kicking!

As you'll read below, leg cramps are common, and they are definitely a part of my days and nights. And, predictably, my back aches. I made an appointment for a pregnancy massage on Friday after my glucose test at the hospital. Heck, I might as well pamper myself while I can, right? As much as I'm looking forward to Spike's arrival, I'm also cherishing days without diapers, the ability to just run into a store without it being a whole production, and naps on weekends.

How your baby's growing: This week your baby weighs almost 2 pounds and is about 14.4 inches long with his legs extended. He can now open and close his eyes, and he sleeps and wakes at regular intervals. He may suck his fingers, and although his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with assistance — if he were to be born prematurely. Chalk up any rhythmic movement you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and isn't bothersome to him, so enjoy the tickle. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. Wonder what he's thinking?

How your life's changing:
Your body is gearing up for the final lap, so you may start noticing some new symptoms. Along with an aching back, for example, you may find that your leg muscles cramp up now and then. They're carrying extra weight, after all. They may also be aggravated by sluggish circulation and compressed nerves caused by your growing uterus. (As your uterus expands, it puts pressure on the blood vessels that return blood from your legs to your heart and on the nerves leading from your trunk to your legs.) Unfortunately, the cramps are likely to get worse as your pregnancy progresses. Leg cramps are more common at night but can also happen during the day. When a cramp strikes, stretching the calf muscle (by straightening your leg and then gently flexing your toes back toward your shins) should give you some relief. Walking for a few minutes or massaging your calf sometimes helps, too.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Aw this is so exciting. I absolutely love your new bumper sticker by the way...

Maya's Granny said...

Richard had hiccups all the time! It startled me, since no one had told me that could happen.