(Yes, I'm blogging at lunch again...)
Dear Spike,
As you'll learn very soon, Mommy loves music a whole, whole lot. There was even a time when she thought about pursuing music as a career. Now though, her most enjoyable connection to music is singing in the car--another thing you'll learn very soon (and it will embarrass you later in life).
Mommy (why am I writing this in the third person?) was going through her music collection last week and decided to create a "mix CD" of songs in honor of your life. So, I thought I'd explain why I picked each song on the 2-CD set. This may take awhile, because there are 32 songs. So let's just cover a few here and get to others later.
These are in track order, but in no particular chosen order:
1. Anticipation by Carly Simon. There are two lines in this song that really inspire me (back to first person!). "We may never know about the days to come--but we think about them anyway" and "These are the good old days." Carly Simon wrote this song while she was anxiously waiting for her date (singer Cat Stevens) to arrive one night.
We may not know what's coming around the corner, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm holding every memory of this pregnancy in my heart. You are my good old days--now and always.
2. At Last by Stevie Nicks. The most famous version of this song was done by Etta James.
"At last, my love has come along
My lonely days are over
And life is like a song
Oh, yeah, at last
The skies above are blue
My heart was wrapped up in clovers
The night I looked at you
I found a dream that I could speak to
A dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to rest my cheek to
A thrill that I have never known
Oh, yeah when you smile, you smile
Oh, and then the spell was cast
And here we are in heaven
For you are mine"
I can't wait to hold you close and sing this song to you, baby girl.
3. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) by John Lennon. This is a love song from John Lennon to his son, Sean. I know you are a girl and not a boy, but I love the sentiment behind the song.
4. Closer to Fine by the Indigo Girls. I chose this song because I adore the Indigo Girls, and this is one of their best-known songs. The harmonies are fantastic. No other reason for including it!
5. Crazy Love by Van Morrison. "I can hear her heart beat for a thousand miles. And the heavens open every time she smiles." One of the greatest love songs ever written.
Talk to you in part 2!
Tuesday, May 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment