Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Songs for Spike, Part VII

28. Trouble Me by 10,000 Maniacs. When this song came out, I thought it would be appropriate for my grandmother, Bubby, who always keeps her emotions inside and never wants to burden anyone with them. (If you watch the video by clicking here, this thought is even more poignant. I'd never seen the video until a few minutes ago.) As I listen to the song now, I realize that it is really about my job as a mother.

Trouble me, disturb me with all your cares and your worries
Trouble me on the days when you feel spent
Why let your shoulders bend underneath this burden when my back is sturdy and strong?

I'll tell you something, Spike: Your grandmother, Poppy, has always been this person for me. I only hope I can do as good a job with you.

29. The Waiting by Tom Petty. Tom Petty says he wrote this in response to seeing Janis Joplin on television, talking about performing onstage, and how the waiting to go on was the hardest part. For me, the chorus is about my journey to find you, baby girl. (click here to watch the video).

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

Plus, you can never go wrong with a Tom Petty song, right? You'll have to wait until number 31 for the third (and final) one.

No comments: