Here are songs 16-20 (for songs 1-15, see earlier posts below).
16. Mockingbird by Carly Simon (with James Taylor). This song was written by Inez and Charlie Foxx, a rhythm and blues duo.
Now, everybody have you heard
He's gonna buy me a mockingbird
And if that mockingbird won't sing
He's gonna buy me a diamond ring
My theory about why this song is on your CD is a little complicated, Spike. Here's the thing--before I met your daddy, I was married to someone else. I got married at 22 and divorced at 27. While I was married to that man, we listened to a lot of James Taylor--he was "our" singer. After my first husband left, I banned James Taylor's music from my home because it brought back so many painful and sad feelings for me.
Since that divorce, I have had a very happy life. If I hadn't had that awful experience, I wouldn't have gotten the courage to move to L.A., start my new life, meet your daddy, and get to be pregnant with you. So that's a very, very good thing.
So what does that have to do with Mockingbird? Well, Carly Simon sings this with James Taylor. A guy I had previously banned from my home. And while I wasn't thinking about it when I chose the song--I thought I chose it because it sounded sweet--I think that I subconsciously chose a song with James Taylor on it to make a statement to myself--that, while I can never let go of the past, I can accept it and even make it a part of my future.
17. Music by Madonna. No deep meaning behind this song. I just want you to love music, to have it in your life everyday, and to always want to dance!
Don’t think of yesterday
And I don’t look at the clock
I like to boogie-woogie
It’s like riding on the wind and it never goes away
Touches everything I’m in
Got to have it everyday
Music makes the people come together
18. Only You by Yaz.
All I needed was the love you gave
All I needed for another day
And all I ever knew
Only you
I suspect this song is really a downer, but I do love that chorus.
19. Our House by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Ok, here's the thing--everyday life is rarely like it is in this song. And if it is, it's probably too good to be true. But I'll tell you something, Spike--if you don't dream it then you'll never live it. And, even if all you get are a few fleeting moments, they are wonderful.
I'll light the fire, you put the flowers in the vase that you bought today
Staring at the fire for hours and hours while I listen to you
Play your love songs all night long for me, only for me
Come to me now and rest your head for just five minutes, everything is good
Such a cozy room, the windows are illuminated by the
Sunshine through them, fiery gems for you, only for you
Our house is a very, very fine house with two cats in the yard, life used to be so hard
Now everything is easy cause of you
Your daddy wouldn't consider himself a romantic, but I must tell you that he does bring me flowers for no reason, which I adore more than getting them on any kind of holiday. And resting my head on his shoulder is like heaven to me. I wish that for you, Spike--in every part of your life. Lots of love and comfort should fill your life.
20. Peg by Steely Dan. Much like I'm Coming Out (#13), I can imagine singing this song on the day you are born.
I've seen your picture
Your name in lights above it
This is your big debut
It's like a dream come true
And when you smile for the camera
I know they're gonna love it
Oh, I cannot wait to meet you, Spike!!!!!!!
Friday, May 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment