I was warned about this. Random people coming up to me and touching my belly. People offering their horrifying birth stories. People offering all kinds of perenting advice. But really--people making fat comments?
Yes, I've heard them. "Are you sure you aren't having twins?" "You're HUGE!" "You'll have a really tough time losing that after the baby is born." "Your stomach is huge--and so is your ass!" (No, really, I'm NOT KIDDING.) "Your boobs are HUGE--you're going to go into letters of the alphabet I never even knew existed for bras!"
Okay, here's the thing. However jokingly said, however harmlessly meant, these comments hurt. I have never felt so beautiful in my whole life as I do RIGHT NOW, giving life to this amazing miracle growing in my body. Have I gained weight? Yes. Perhaps a little more thn I'd hoped? Yes. (Name me five women who gained precisely the "right" amount of weight while pregnant!) Have I also enjoyed eating while I've been pregnant? Yes. (And let me tell you, while I do enjoy a sweet or two, I am not gorging on donuts and french fries. For example, for breakfast yesterday I had a bagel with a scrambled egg and a slice of cheese. For lunch, a hummus wrap and some watermelon. For dinner, some tuna salad, carrots and strawberries. So there.)
And really, the bottom line is that it is nobody's damn business if I've gained 25, 30, 35, 40, or 70 pounds. Nobody's. Okay, my doctor's, but she has been fabulous about my weight.
And the breast size thing? Really? Do you want to go there? Talk about an area I have NO CONTROL over.
So, please, don't nag me about it--now or after the baby is born. There's a miracle going on right now--does my extra chin really matter? I really do believe that our bodies hit a natural, comfortable weight when we trust it to do so. And it won't be right away, but I'll find that place again. So butt out, okay?
Tuesday, July 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good for you! For some reason people don't seem to have any boundaries anymore.
Have you tried asking these people, "What have I done that you should want to make me feel so bad?"
Sometimes refusing to play the game and calling it by its true name shuts them up. And if they say they were just teasing, "Perhaps you would like to know that it doesn't feel like teasing. It feels like an attack. And, as a matter of fact, I do have a sense of humor."
Some people feel free to touch your stomach and comment on your body. I feel free to tell you what to do.
Post a Comment