Monday, July 23, 2007

Pink Tuna

When I was a little girl, my grandmother--who ate health food before it was en vogue to do so--made "pink tuna" for us to eat. It wasn't a big deal, really--it was just tuna salad with well-grated carrots in it, which made it turn a pinkish color. For years, Bubby sneaked carrots into our tuna salad. When we got older, she confessed her "secret recipe," but it didn't really matter, because we loved everything that Bubby cooked. But it made me laugh that she was like an "undercover cook," making sure we got our vitamins in.

Tonight, in Bubby's honor, I made pink tuna. And I'm sure I'll make it for Spike, too. That's one of those family folklore recipes that will live on!

6 comments:

Kate said...

It's really funny because I have tried to make "pink tuna" a few times and it is NEVER as good as when Bubby makes it. So, I gave up. I hope you have better pink tuna luck!

Maya's Granny said...

Sunday I made a pink tuna casserole. I used Spicy Thai tuna, which gave it that pink color as well as a wonderful bite.

Jill said...

Who knew that they had pink tuna in Alaska? :-)

Unknown said...

would you please make this for Miri sometime? She doesn't eat tuna yet, but this might be the way. And if it comes from you, it's more exciting than if it comes from me...
xoxo Nancy

Jill said...

but of course! and kate, i'll make it for you too...

Susan B said...

I've had to do the "stealth veggie" thing with Sam too. He loves spinach lasagne, and I also cut up green beans (very small) to add to his "mac cheese", and "chik'n'rice".