Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Babycenter.com Update: Week 33

Well, I went to the doctor's yesterday. The baby is fine--I got to see her in an ultrasound after many weeks!-- but two things are going on:

1. I have a fibroid in my uterus that will most likely keep the baby from turning, which means I'm probably on a short track to a cesarean section. We'll know more in a few weeks, but that's the doctor's prediction.
2. The umbilical cord is currently resting around the baby's neck. This isn't an emergency, as icky as is sounds, but it does mean that I need to more closely monitor the baby's movements. Wow, there's something I won't worry about....

Tomorrow I go back to the doctor for a blood pressure check.

Here's this week's update from http://www.babycenter.com/:

How your baby's growing: This week your baby weighs a little over 4 pounds and has passed the 17-inch mark. He's rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look and his skeleton is hardening. The bones in his skull aren't fused together, which allows them to move and slightly overlap, thus making it easier for him to fit through the birth canal. (The pressure on the head during birth is so intense that many babies are born with a conehead-like appearance.) These bones don't entirely fuse until early adulthood, so they can grow as his brain and other tissue expands during infancy and childhood.

3 comments:

Kate said...

You're doing great! trucking along. Don't worry yourself too much. I have a feeling Spike is a pretty tough gal.

Marilyn said...

Don't worry about the cord thing. James' cord was wrapped around his neck and it certainly didn't slow him down. And as far as the Cesarean goes, it sounds like a good pass on the labor pains to me!

Maya's Granny said...

And, if Spike is Cesarean, she won't have a cone head. Richard and Julie were so small that they didn't either. But, small isn't necessarily the best way to go.