
Today, P.C. and I went to our favorite, disgusting burger stand, the Munch Box. It got me thinking about foods particular to Baltimore, my hometown. (Not that greasy burgers are particular to Los Angeles, but I think if I moved away, I'd yearn for a Hickory Burger from the Munch Box.) So, here's my Top 10 list, in no particular order. (By the way, my mom's cooking doesn't count--there's a lot to yearn for there!)
You'll also notice that there are a few places that aren't in the boundaries of Baltimore City. Deal with it... :-)
1. A crab dip-covered soft pretzel from Michael's Cafe.
2. Steamed blue crabs.
3. Berger cookies. The most luscious, stomachache-inducing, fudgy cookies ever.
4. A three-way bagel (a bagel cut into three slices) with nova and whitefish salad from Suburban House. (Okay, so you can buy this in a lot of places, but where else can you get a three-way bagel served with lots of kvetching in the background?)
5. Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets. You can buy Tastykakes outside of Baltimore, but not in L.A.!
6. Utz potato chips. Favorite flavor: The Crab Chip, sprinkled with Old Bay seasoning.
7. Crab Cakes from Friendly Farm in Upperco, Maryland--north of Baltimore. Small-town eating at its best.
1. A crab dip-covered soft pretzel from Michael's Cafe.
2. Steamed blue crabs.
3. Berger cookies. The most luscious, stomachache-inducing, fudgy cookies ever.
4. A three-way bagel (a bagel cut into three slices) with nova and whitefish salad from Suburban House. (Okay, so you can buy this in a lot of places, but where else can you get a three-way bagel served with lots of kvetching in the background?)
5. Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets. You can buy Tastykakes outside of Baltimore, but not in L.A.!
6. Utz potato chips. Favorite flavor: The Crab Chip, sprinkled with Old Bay seasoning.
7. Crab Cakes from Friendly Farm in Upperco, Maryland--north of Baltimore. Small-town eating at its best.
(okay, the spacing is off here and I can't seem to fix it!)
8. Steamed mussels from Bertha's.
9. The Chiapparelli salad from Chiapparelli's Restaurant in Little Italy. There's something about that house dressing ... yum!
10. Pizza from Ledo's in College Park. The rectangular pizza is so wonderful. I have found a close alternative in Los Angeles: Barone's pizza. And not just because it is rectangular.
I notice that four items on the list have something to do with crabs. I am a true Baltimore gal! I've learned by now that if a menu item in L.A. reads, "Maryland Crab Cakes," I need to stay away or I'll be disappointed.
I notice that four items on the list have something to do with crabs. I am a true Baltimore gal! I've learned by now that if a menu item in L.A. reads, "Maryland Crab Cakes," I need to stay away or I'll be disappointed.
So it looks like I have a few complete meals here. Salad, entrees, desserts ... mmm ... my mouth is watering!
4 comments:
Hush puppies from Dean's in Hampstead! Hush puppies from Dean's in Hampstead! Hush puppies from Dean's in Hampstead!
*Sob* How could you forget? Or is it just that you haven't been there since about 1981?
Hush puppies...with powdered sugar...from Dean's. In Hampstead.
Anyway, it's nice to see you're blogging over the break.
oh, my gosh...you are so right! I guess it's been too long since I last ate there. Yum!
O.K. guys, you've forgotten big chocolate snowballs with marshmellow in them... duh.
When I go to Baltimore, I'm always on a mission to get crab soup from Captain Harvey's, crab cakes, big corned beef sandwiches, and of course, the gut busting Buerger cookies.
mmmmm I love Baltimore food.
Sounds like if I ever get to Baltimore I will feast on crab! One of my favorites. In San Francisco there are three restaurants owned by the same family (the original was Than Long's) that serve Than Long crab --it is to die for. People stand in line around the block to get in and you will see at least one crab on almost every table. Oh, how I miss it.
Post a Comment