Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I Swear, I've Completed Three Marathons Without Tripping...

Last night, while taking the dog out for a stroll, I somehow lost my balance and tripped over my own feet. (Actually, I may have tripped UP a curb, but it's unclear.) In any case, I landed on my palms and my right knee, so my belly was uninvolved. But wow, did this shake me up. I started sobbing uncontrollably after I fell. I think I was so relieved that I didn't hit my stomach on the ground that I just started crying. Plus, those hormones of mine might be a TAD out of wack. :-)

So, I was glad to feel the baby kicking last night after I fell, but this morning before I got out of bed...nothing. Driving to work...nothing. Sitting at my desk...nothing...until about 8:30 a.m. P.C., who errs on the side of caution (interesting for a man, eh?) suggested that I call the doctor anyway to make sure all was okay.

The doctor told me to go home, drink a big glass of orange juice, lie down for an hour and count kicks.

For the first 10 minutes, Spike only moved once. Once. Oy! Trying not to panic, I took lots of deep breaths and repeated positive affirmations to myself. Sure enough, that kid kicked it into gear (literally) and gave my 32 kicks in an hour. I called the doctor's office, and they said, "You have quite an active baby!" So, Spike is fine. And I'm relieved.

Ah, yes...nothing like a child aggravating you in utero to remind you of what's to come!

5 comments:

Kate said...

Isn't it funny how that happens sometimes. I remember one time I was running up the stairs and fell- up the stairs. I sat there for a few seconds, realized i'd scraped my knee, and then started crying. Sounds like a story from when I was little but it wasn't that long ago...I felt like a toddler. At least you had a good excuse to be shaken. Glad to hear all is well.

Kate said...

And have you really run 3 marathons? I had no idea. Pretty bad ass....

Jill said...

thanks. yes, i did run three marathons--i have the medals to prove it! but it seems so long ago these days!

Anonymous said...

Glad everything's ok, you bad ass.

Maya's Granny said...

I once fell to my knees on a hill in San Francisco with Richard in my arms instead of my belly. Curled around his little self and rolled. Skinned knees and elbows, but the kid was ok.