...but then, oh yeah, they tell me.
Last night, P.C. and I went to a Passover seder. The evening was lovely enough, except for the following phrases that were blurted out (I'm not kidding) by various relatives (luckily, none by any of my favorites):
"You're so huge!"
"Your boobs are gigantic! You'll have to buy the biggest size bras they sell!"
"You've gained so much weight!"
Now, I'm sure these phrases were uttered without any malicious intent. But, I wonder, were these people trying to comfort my pregnant, fragile body image?
Sometimes I just wish people would keep their thoughts to themselves.
Tuesday, April 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Did anybody say the following things, which are all true:
"You look beautiful!"
"Your skin is just peachy--it glows!"
"Your hair is gorgeous!"
"You're growing an actual human being inside your body!"
"Pregnancy becomes you!"
"I'm SO happy for you!"
xoxo
Well said, Nancy!
The appropriate response, if you weren't so polite would be, "Well, I am 5 months pregnant, what's your excuse?"
Tell me about it. People have said all of those things to me, and I wasn't even pregnant!!
Post a Comment