Friday, February 9, 2007

A Repeat Movie Recommendation


In December, I posted about the movie Shut Up & Sing, a documentary about the Dixie Chicks, which takes place in 2003 after lead singer Natalie Maines made a comment about President Bush that set off a series of events, including CD-crushing rallies, a death threat against Maines, and a downturn in record sales. The film follows the band through the release of their latest album, Taking The Long Way.

Last night, one of the directors of the movie came to school to screen the movie and do a Q&A. It was very interesting and served to re-spark my interest in the film.

One thing I liked about the movie was the exploration of motherhood. Between the three women, they have seven children. Martie Maguire and Emily Robison (who happen to be sisters) each has a set of twins conceived through in-vitro fertilization. Who knew I had so much in common with two Chicks?

Anyway, if you haven't seen the movie and it is no longer playing at a theater near you, you can rent or buy the DVD on February 20 when it is released. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I saw it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also just read that the Chicks won all five of the grammy's they were nominated for including best album and best country album, which is so ironic....Go Chicks!!

Maya's Granny said...

Isn't it great that they took in so many Grammys!