Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Speaking of Carly Simon...

"We can never know about the days to come
But we think about them anyway
And I wonder if I'm really with you now
Or just chasing after some finer day
Anticipation, Anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting"
--Carly Simon, "Anticipation"

Did you know that there are lots of songs about waiting? For example:

"The waiting is the hardest part."

--Tom Petty, "The Waiting"

"Ya see, in life I know there's lots of grief
But your love is my relief
Tears in my eyes burn
Tears in my eyes burn while I'm waiting
While I'm waiting for my turn."

--Bob Marley, "Waiting in Vain"

"A smile relieves a heart that grieves
Remember what I said
I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a friend"

--The Rolling Stones, "Waiting on a Friend"

In the hours before my doctor's appointments, I find myself singing "The Waiting" by Tom Petty. (In fact, I blogged about this song in an earlier post.) It got me thinking about all the songs that had the word "waiting" in the title. Lyricsplanet.com shows 109 matches, by artists like Dolly Parton ("Will He Be Waiting for Me"), Ozzy Osbourne ("Waiting for Darkness") and The Beatles ("Crying, Waiting, Hoping"). Perhaps I should start singing Ozzy instead of Petty!

Anyway, I write this because, as I mentioned a couple of days ago, tomorrow is my last (hopefully) visit to the fertility doctor and I'm feeling a little anxious. I feel this way everytime I have a doctor's visit scheduled, probably because so much is going on inside my body and I can't see a single thing that is happening. For example, according to the pregnancy calendar on www.ivillage.com:

"By the end of this week [week 10], your baby will have verifiable fingers and toes. The tadpole appearance diminishes as the tail completely disappears. Eyelids fuse and will stay shut until weeks 25 to 27. Both the external ear and upper lip are complete, and the beginnings of external genitalia appear. The average size of your baby-to-be is 27 to 35 millimeters, crown to rump, or 1.06 to 1.38 inches. Your little one weighs in at a hefty four grams! At the end of the eighth week of gestation your little one is no longer an embryo; from now on he or she is refered to as a fetus."

Sometimes I wish I had a camera permanently implanted in my belly so I could watch everything happening!

Anyway, going to the doctor means I get to confirm that all of the craziness going on in my body is proceeding normally, so there is a little bit of anxiousness about that. Of course, my anxiousness is tempered by my positive visualization exercises, so I don't walk around wringing my hands and worrying. (For anyone who's been paying attention, by birthday resolution to stop worrying has been working pretty well. Of course, the kid isn't born yet...) But I do find myself living appointment to appointment, which I understand from my friends is par for the course.

Anyway, please keep us in your thoughts!

No comments: