Friday, January 19, 2007

Fascinating Songwriters, Part III


The 1970s were filled with singer-songwriters. You know, that Joni Mitchell-James Taylor-Carly-Simon era, before synthesizers took over. So many wonderful artists came out of that period, but no artist had more impact in such a short time than Jim Croce.

In 1972, Croce signed with ABC Records. In 1973, he and his musical partner, Maury Meuhleisen, were killed in a plane crash. Meuhleisen was as important to Croce's success as Jim himself, as his harmonies and guitar complimented Croce's songwriting.

Here are some of the hits Croce released between 1972 and 1974 (a few were released after his death). How many of these do you know?

Operator (That's Not The Way It Feels)
You Don't Mess Around with Jim
Time in a Bottle
Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
I Got a Name
Workin' at the Car Wash Blues
I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song
Photographs and Memories
One Less Set of Footsteps

Most of you know about Bad, Bad Leroy Brown, "the baddest man in the whole damn town." But did you know about Big Jim Walker?

"And they say you don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off an 'ole Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."

Or what about Croce's love song for his infant son, "Time in a Bottle":

"If I had a box just for wishes
And dreams that had never come true
The box would be empty
Except for the memory
Of how they were answered by you."

And here's "I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song," Croce's song of apology to his wife, Ingrid:

"Well, I know it's kind of late
I hope I didn't wake you
But what I got to say can't wait
I know you'd understand
Ev'ry time I tried to tell you
The words just came out wrong
So I'll have to say I love you in a song.
Yeah, I know it's kind of strange
But ev'ry time I'm near you
I just run out of things to say
I know you'd understand
Ev'ry time I tried to tell you
The words just came out wrong
So I'll have to say I love you in a song."

Two years and a lifetime of hits. Truly a fascinating songwriter.

No comments: