Friday, September 19, 2008

Nice weekend...long week

Megan had a rough night last night. Teething out of control with four teeth coming in. The day before, we sat in the doctor's office for two hours trying to get a good urine sample because she might have another urinary tract infection. And if that's the case, we'll need to consider the source of the infection (structural or just bad luck) and consider the next steps.

(Why might she have another UTI? When the last one cleared up, we did another sample, which came back positive from the lab, so we did another sample just to be sure before we treated her, because she wasn't showing any symptoms. As a side note, do you know how hard it is to get a urine sample from a child who is in diapers? You tape these bags over them and pray some urine goes in! That's why I went to the doctor's office--in the hopes that they'd be able to tape the bag better than I could...)

Yesterday, I called day care to check on her because of the teething, and they told me she had a fever of 100.4 and that I needed to come get her. I called the doctor to see if we should come in, since we were waiting for UTI results and maybe that was the cause of the fever. So, we went to the doctor and...bam, an ear infection! The tubes appear to still be in place, but one of them looks clogged. So, first we need to treat the infection and then we'll reexamine that tube. Whew!

So...teething + ear infection = uncomfortable baby! Poor thing. Hopefully the antibiotic will kick in today and she'll be on the mend!

In other news, I went to the perinatologist last week, and Sprout is getting big. The doctor anticipates he'll be 8 1/2 to 9 pounds if I go to term! But she suspects I'll go early, as I did with Megan (that was three weeks early). As I type this, he's kicking like crazy. Oh, how I love that feeling.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Poor thing! I think if I was teething, had a UTI and an ear infection I would probably act like more of a baby than she does!